Blondie and Read

The Call -

The Call - Peadar Ó Guilín

I didn't know anything about this book before I picked it up. I just saw that it was written by an Irish author and the cover looked cool. (Yes, I judged.)

It was actually pretty good. The concept was not something that I had read before. I also enjoyed that an Irish author wrote about something that takes place in Ireland. I've only read one book prior to this one by an Irish author - first YA Irish author. (How many times can I say Irish/Ireland??)

I've read other reviews and listened to "recaps" on Youtube and lots of people are categorizing this as horror. I guess. It's ... the basis of a horror film. Creatures calling humans to their world and killing/mutating them as revenge. I, however, didn't read it as a scary book. I'm not sure how I read it... maybe more of a dystopian fantasy? Not scary. I wasn't scared to read this at night, and I'm a big baby when it comes to horror.

The main character has polio, which adds another level of "I'm different". I liked it. It didn't challenge how I think. The romance wasn't the front and center. In fact, I could have done without the minor hint of romance. I wasn't super connected to any of the characters, but that doesn't mean they weren't "real".

I do recommend this book.