Blondie and Read

The Magicians

The Magicians - Lev Grossman Before we get too involved in the book. Shout out to Bramhall. An amazing voice actor. Each character got a distinct voice and their personality was easily deciphered. Enjoyable listening experience with him behind the mic.

I love magic.

I can't believe I haven't read this book sooner. It's right up my alley. Magic. Magic. Magic. I love magic.

I really liked Grossman's take on how his version of magic is different than the typical magic that we think of. There are no wands. There are insanely intricate hand and finger movements with hard to pronounce incantations. These students need to be at the top of their class and still have that child-like wonder. I love how there's different disciplines within the overall umbrella of magic. The physical kids are able to control physical things (duh), like fire or light spectrum.

So. I know I'm not the only person fangirling about the fact that these magicians were all fans of a book that focused on magic and a whole magical world. Does this mean that there's hope to still get my letter to Hogwarts or a comparable school? I'm thinking yes.

The characters Grossman creates are all so beautifully flawed. They have the same worries, hopes, dreams, and inner demons that we do. The relationships between each of them is more than two-dimension. They're so complicated and built on so many different threads of awesome. If you've read my previous reviews, you'll know I get all weak in the knees for flawed characters and intricate relationships. *Swoon*

Throwing this out there: I love how Julia develops as a character. Since we're focusing on Quentin, we don't really get to see anything of Julia and how she's progressing. We're getting an outsiders' view and it's amazing. Each time we meet her in this book, I get more and more excited. She's definitely the most interesting character and, for sure, my favorite.

I won't lie, I was a little worried about the pacing of the book. They're out of school before we're even a quarter of the way through! There's so much that could have been glanced over that I missed or should have been fleshed out. Never you mind, fellow reader. It all makes sense. The whole "we're in school" section is just the basis for the actual story at hand.

I do have one small problem, though. Since I got this at the library, and as an audio, there were times when the disc skipped. There were several sections that I had to skip completely. Whole tracks! There was a point when I got out of the scratched up woods and all of a sudden there's characters I don't know. Like, who or what is Dint? Who's Henry and Anais? I HAVE NO IDEA!

My rating and why: I gave this book four stars! I read it and super enjoyed it. At the time of writing this, I already have the second book on hold. (EEEEEEE!) Grossman's writing is amazing. He throws in one-liners that grab at pop culture and make the read all that much more accessible as a reader. I believe this would to be real... and I'm waiting to take the test to get into Brakbills, the school (apparently that wasn't mentioned before).