megasaurusyoung

Blondie and Read

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black I picked up this book because I've been hearing a lot about it. I've heard good things and I've heard bad things. It has been staring at me for a long time now and I figured this was the time. I needed an audiobook and this was the one that was going to do it. (I went one day without an audiobook and heard way too much Taylor Swift in the course of an hour...what happened to variety on the radio?!) I'm just going to do some random thoughts with no continuity. Enjoy.

First of all, Ms. Black, the title. It's a silly title; I might even go as far as saying it's a stupid title. Black, you couldn't think of anything better than that? Come on. You're a writer. I know you can do better.

I love the idea of mortals not turning into vampires just because they were bitten. I love that there's a grace period of when they can be changed back into a human. While many do not change, it's awesome that there is some sort of redemption that can be made. It's amazing and original. I have not read, or heard, anything like this. It's a great take on the tradition vampire stories and one that doesn't make me want to barf.

This book hinted at being scary. For me, the music tried to tell me when things were about to get "scary", but I never really got chills or was afraid to be home alone. Missed the mark on that one. I could tell that Black wanted it to be one of thrills though; I'll give her some props for her effort.

This whole thing with Tana and Gavriel (sorry if I spelled it wrong because audiobooks): not feeling it. I rolled my eyes more than once and each time was well-deserved. I wanted to punch Tana more than once. I need a female main character that isn't such a baby or ...I don't even know how to describe Tana, but I was not feeling it at all.

I'm super glad this is a standalone book. I would have been mad if Black was going to make me invest even more time into this world than I wanted. And props to her for not creating the ever-popular YA fantasy trilogy.

The action scenes, for me were really hard to follow what was going on. An example is at the very beginning of the book when Tana is trying to escape out the window. I thought she was outside multiple times just to find out she was still fumbling inside.

Meh.

My rating and why: I gave this book a 2.5 stars (3 stars on goodreads). I read it and it was meh. It was one of those books that I could definitely have lived without reading. This book will not be one that I remember all that well a few months from now. I'll just know that I read it (thanks to the stupid title).