Blondie and Read

The Martian

The Martian - Andy Weir I have seen this cover around the block a time or two. Then it happened. Someone at work owns a copy and is lending it out to anyone who showed in interested. I flaunted my interest and was soon granted access.

This book. I don't even know where to begin. (I just wrote and re-wrote the following sentence at least 5 times.) I guess we'll start with Mark Watney as a character. He's amazing. He's a genius and constantly finding new, alternative ways to do something. He needs to survive on Mars for a ridiculous amount of time until the next ship comes. Food. Water. Air. All necessities that we take for granted that Watney needs to figure out how to make happen and stretch out as long as possible. He's crass, immature, sarcastic humor had me reeling in my chair (what does that even mean?); I laughed out loud, literally; I enjoyed his sense of humor and wit.

There's so much I could say - the "science" in this book is all plausible. Right? I'm reading this with the idea that Weir doesn't really know what he's talking about, but since he's saying it with authority that it must be ok. Oh, no hunny. It's alllll plausible and that, my sweet, is amazing.

This book had me hooked from the first sentence. "I'm fucked." Yup. Two simple words, and from that point on I just couldn't put the book down. I was right there rooting for Watney to survive and make it back home, but the insane amount of environmental troubles and human errors are stacked against his survival.

There were several parts where I'm sure I didn't breathe. (I probably did, but come on now. I'm being dramatic and trying to get you excited about this book.)

My rating and why: I gave this book five stars! If you've been following my reviews, you know I don't had these out willy nilly. I absolutely loved this book and have already recommended it to several friends and coworkers. Anytime someone brings up anything to do with space, sci-fi, planets, reading, (or anything really) I bring up this book. I can't stop talking about it.