Blondie and Read

The Human Body

The Human Body - Paolo Giordano I received this eBook early from Penguin. Shout out to Penguin before we begin! (Commence shouting.) Also a huge apology to Penguin Publishing. I was supposed to have my review written and posted several weeks ago, but apparently I'm a horrible ARC reader. To be fair, I did what I could with what I was given.

Let me preface this review by saying that I do not have a whole lot of experience with war stories. The only author I've really read that focuses on the war and what it does to the soldiers is Tim O'Brien. So here's going to be a random list of my thoughts about this book. Here we go:

• When one of the characters (can't for the life of me remember which, and I sure do not want to re-open this book to find out) was going through his bag he listed a ton of stuff. The cool thing - I knew exactly what he was talking about. I knew the night vision and all of the gear. My full-time job sells a crap-ton of that stuff. I was a little giddy at that point. And that was the last smile this book got from me (and not in a good way).

• There was a disconnect between me and the characters. I had a really hard time keeping them straight as well. I'm not sure if this was intentional, my guess is no, but I just couldn't get into this book for that reason. This book is very-character driven, but I was not feeling it. I'm usually huge into characters and development and all those awesome writing techniques, but not this time. I mostly didn't care about the characters. This could have something to do with the disconnect, or it could be intentional. Whatever the reason, I just was not jiving.

• I put it down for a really long time. This could explain why I couldn't keep characters straight, but I needed a break. I took the break, mostly, so that I could read the book club book Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. It was a nice break, and I considered not finishing it. I didn't think that getting my first eARC and not finishing it would be a good thing though, so I pushed on.

• This book, as mentioned before, just wasn't for me, which is unfortunate. I've read that his first novel was exceptional, so maybe I'll have to check that one out, but for now I'm taking a break from Giordano.

My rating and why: I gave this book two stars. I read it and finished it, but just did not like it. Not my cup of tea. Sorry for not writing my review on time, Penguin. Maybe that's why I didn't win the raffle for the following month's book. Oh, well. Better luck next time.