megasaurusyoung

Blondie and Read

You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life - Jen Sincero I was perusing the library shelves, as I often do, and decided that I was going to start listening to Playaways while at work. That's 8 hours of time that I could be doing something worth-while (sorry, work). So I was just browsing, not intending to grab anything, and then I came across this book. I read the title as far as "You're A Badass", thought Yes, I am, grabbed it and left. I had no idea i just picked up my first Playaway and my first self-help book.

When I hooked up my headphones and opened a spreadsheet to start working, I still had no idea I was about to dive into the self-help world. As my realization slowly adjusted and became known that that is exactly what I was listening to, I almost laughed out loud. Aren't these the types of books for people who are down in the dumps and have little, to no, self worth? This outta be good.

Sincero (pronounced like Sin Chair o) did a pretty good job of not talking down to me. There weren't really moments of holy crap, this knowledge will change how I do everything from now on, but she wasn't off-base in how she was presenting her information. I loved that she talked to you like you're a person, because that's exactly what I am. A person. I'm not an ambiguous reader on the other end of a boring book. I'm a person.

There was a moment when she started talking about religion and I got a little worried that she was going to get preachy at this point, but she didn't. For that, I thank you, Sincero.

My rating and why: I gave this book three stars! It's a good book if this is what you're looking for. This book just isn't for me. I'm not "into" the self-help life, but I can see where this book could be beneficial to someone who is down on their luck.