Blondie and Read

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" - Lena Dunham I haven't watched any episodes of Girls, though I've been told how amazing it is many times. I'm not really sure why I picked up this book. I've known her to be a very strong female, and I think that's what drew her book to me. I love to read memoirs about strong women dominating in a male-dominated world and work place. So, I was excited to see what knowledge she had to drop on me.

My excitement was ... disappointed.

Dunham might not be "that kind of girl", but she's definitely the kind of girl I avoid.

I'm not really sure what I was supposed to take away from this book. I don't know what Dunham "learned". I honestly have no idea. Most of her problems that she's dealt with seem to be self-created, and super trivial. She has super tiny glimpses of self-actualization, and I got a brief glimmer of hope - she might learn from this! - only to find out that she did not learn from this experience and continued to continue.

You can rest assured that Dunham is not that voice of my generation. While we might be separated by a couple years, we're separated vastly in experience and maturity (thank god).

I'm not really sure what I was supposed to learn about her listing several days of every thing she consumed, along with their calories. I'm not sure what I was supposed to learn about Dunham admiring her mother's nude images. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to learn about platonic bed-sharing.

Something I did learn is that Dunham is ridiculous and not really the good kind either. She's not like Dee Snyder in his Twisted Sister make up. But she's also not insanely complex math problems. She's the type of ridiculous that I want nothing to do with. She seemed to want to be trying to shock me rather than telling her memoir.

Stop name dropping. I don't care that you barfed all over Nelly's house.

I almost shut this book down several times, but thought that it had to get better... IT HAD TO. It did not.

I would have liked her to tell more about how she got to being so powerful in television. How she got to be working on her show. I could do a little less with the fact that she can't wait til she's 80 to talk about all the horrible men she's been with - names included.

I'm beginning to see why memoirs are written by the elderly. Everything in this book seemed petty and nothing I really should have spent time reading.

My rating and why: I gave this book 1.2/2 stars. I recommend this to no one. I know I haven't seen her show and maybe I would have been more forgiving if I had. This book was so much nope for me.