Blondie and Read

Yes Please

Yes Please - Amy Poehler I'm a fan of Amy Poehler. I thought she was pretty hilarious on SNL. While I'm not an avid Parks and Recreation watcher, I've seen several episodes and was pretty pleased. When I found out she had an autobiography coming out, I had to read it.

This is my little disclaimer. Yes, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are both female comedians. Yes, they both were featured on SNL. Yes, they both wrote autobiographies at around the same time. No, they are not the same person. No, they do not need to be compared to each other. They are different people with different life experiences - their books should be treated as such. (Getting off my soapbox now.)

I just re-wrote the beginning of this review several times. I'm having a hard time with picking a spot to begin. It's always easier for me to talk about the bad, so we'll do that first. Shall weee....

Things that made me "mer"
- It didn't so much as make me "mer", as it did make me question why she put it in. Poehler seemed almost apologetic when saying that writing is hard. To me it felt like she was saying, if you don't like it, it's because it was hard. It was just an interesting choice to keep that in.
- Seth Meyers. Meyers and Poehler became instant friends when working on SNL, so it's only natural that he's mentioned in her bio. He was one of the voice actors and his section seemed more like an homage to Poehler than anything else.
- Seemed too name-droppy. Congrats on working with all these people, but quit bragging.
- Seemed talk show-like whenever a new voice actor came on. They were introduced and, it was just weird...

Things that made me smile or nod to my stereo
- Poehler is funny. Her presentation and timing has always made me laugh and this book is no exception.
- It's an autobiography. I always find it interesting to peer into others' lives. Maybe it's the voyeur in me. Maybe I just wanna be famous and awesome, and think these books will help. Maybe... just maybe...
- Comedians are very dark. Tons of comedians come from insanely dark and depressing backgrounds or are dealing with addictions (or what have you). Poehler talks about the hardships with her divorce, but in a way that makes it ok. You're laughing one second, and the next you're realizing what she's talking about is sad and a downer.
- The audiobook is catered to the medium. She's well-aware that what's she's doing is going to be listened to and not read. Pretty clever, Poehler

I don't really have a lot to say about Poehler's autobiography. It was interesting, as I said before. It was cool to have the different voice actors come on and talk about Poehler or talk about an experience shared with Poehler. ALSO - Poehler does her last chapter as a live reading. This was the best performed chapter, in my opinion. I think she did much better with an audience she could see rather than talking to a mic.

My rating and why: I gave this book 3.5/4 stars. I read it and enjoyed it. I thought it was well-done, despite some questionable additions or additives.