Blondie and Read

The Ten Minute Activist: Easy Ways to Take Back the Planet

The Ten Minute Activist: Easy Ways to Take Back the Planet - The Mission Collective I bought this book for $.50 at a book sale through the local library. It's been sitting on my floor with the rest of the mountain of books that I just had to have. I needed a book to read coming off of Running Like a Girl. I chose this one. It looked small. I don't really consider myself to be a tree-hugger or hippie-dippy, but I definitely recycle, use canvas bags when grocery shopping, and donate my old clothes and home goods to Goodwill. (I've even been considering composting.) I went in to this book trying to find other cool ways to make the world a better place. (My Miss America speech.)

The format of this book is pretty cool. The longest section is about two pages. The sections are succinct. They tell you a problem and exactly how you can fix it. While some of their solutions seem really low-scale, if everyone did their part, it makes a huge difference. (Every bit counts, right?) For example, one section tells you that you should be eliminating the use of harsh cleaners. And you're thinking, probably like me, Now, how am I supposed to keep the house clean without using deep-cleaning products?. The Mission Collective throws in simple concoctions to make that do the job just as well as bleach or harsh cleaners. Whenever a website or book is referenced, we are given the website address, the book title, the author, so that we can check it out and get more information. (After all, knowledge is power, amiright?) There are funny, apropos cartoons interrupting the monotony of mini chapters. The art work is really nice and subtly introduces you to liking environmental rights cartoons. (They're so sneaky that way. I CARE?!)

My problem with the book? I only have a couple. One: There are two typos. How this got by the five people part of The Mission Collective and whoever else is part of the publication process, is beyond me. It irks me because their message is so strong and powerful, but simple things like misspellings call into minor question their credibility. However, I overlooked these. The other problem: their solutions are narrowed to a certain group with certain socioeconomic status. I saw this book as geared toward the upper-middle class. While, I'm not complaining, everyone needs to help out, I just wish that they were more assessable by a wider range of social status.

My rating and why: I rated this four stars! I finished reading it and I really enjoyed it. On the same day I finished this book, I recommended it to a friend. I really like some of the ideas in the book. They're pretty simple adjustments that can be made to everyday activities. I made smiley faces in the margins to all the "yes!" statements I agreed with. Yes, the above talked about spiritual and political change, but it didn't dive super deep into either, which I was totally A-Okay with. And another cool thing: since the chapters are so small, you can knock out three or more in a ten-minute sitting!