megasaurusyoung

Blondie and Read

City of Bones

City of Bones  - Ari Graynor, Cassandra Clare So I have heard many things about this series. I have heard good, bad, and the ugly. I needed to find out for myself what was really going on. The people that loved it were really into it. There was a movie. There's another series that's in this world. It's a whole thing.

It's not my thing. I have a friend who told me that she tried several times to finish the audiobook and just couldn't. I'm so sorry, but I think a huge reason for that is Graynor. It's hard to differentiate between the characters or even when someone is talking and when it's just text. Her voice was kind of annoying, which actually fit with the character of Clary.

Clary is one annoying character. The whole I'm-not-pretty-and-I-don't-know-what's-going-on thing really needed to stop. She was constantly comparing herself to Isabelle and constantly questioning everything that everyone said. If I was a mundane and found this world out, I would trust the people that have lived in this world for forever. I really wanted to slap her. I also wonder how Clare came up with the name Clary. Hmmmm.... Clary. Clare. Claary. Claaare.

A lot of people that read this book weren't fans of Jace. Hello, what? I loved Jace. He was sarcastic, kind of an ass-hole, and super attractive. What's not to love? He's the kind of guy that all girls want to be with, or at least fight with. He was a great character, UNTIL we got toward the end. Then... not so much.

I was doing great. I was pushing through. There was a lot of weak writing that felt a ton like fan fiction. There was a lot going on that was thrown at you and not really explained and didn't fit well in the story, while other times things were explained too much. Quit beating a dead horse, Clare.

Towards the beginning a lot of the plot twists were super predictable and disappointing. At the end all the plot twists were unpredictable and made no sense and were disappointing.

My rating and why: I gave this book 2.5 stars. While I can definitely see the appeal to some people, this book just didn't hit the mark for me. There are a ton of other YA fantasy books that get my engine going and this just wasn't one of them. Sorry Clare. Maybe next time. Although, I probably won't be continuing this series.