Blondie and Read

We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a true story

We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a true story - Josh Sundquist I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is me being George Washington, and not telling any lies:

I read the synopsis and was intrigued by the concept. I'm all about relationships whether they're striving ones, failing ones, or ones that haven't even taken off. I'm just a fan of intra- and inter-personal stuff. The whole shebang. Throw in the fact that the author is a Paralympic skier and couldn't get a girlfriend til after college and I'm all salivating at the mouth.

The structure of the book is really cute. The cover shows a little diagram, and that's a huge indication of what's to come in the following pages. I've seen everything from a pie chart to a bar graph. It's brilliant. Loved the visuals. Something else unique is that this book is very formulaic. There's a background for each potential girlfriend. A Hypothesis of why this didn't work out. And the solution. It was super cute, until it wasn't.

After the first few attempted and failed girlfriend relationships, I was over the whole formula thing when it came to girls. Honestly, girls aren't a formula that you can just click into some calculator or write on a white board and instantly figure out x. The stories all seemed to be the same, basic idea. The girl is hot. He's a bumbler and didn't get around to making any moves. Turns out the girl really did like him and he was too late.

The epiphany in the book wasn't the phenomenal one I was hoping for. I'm not sure exactly why either. Maybe it was because I was already tuning out. Maybe it was because the last girl and his eventual girlfriend. (Not a spoiler: he says that he has a girlfriend and it took however long sorta in the beginning. Don't worry, dear readers.) Maybe I just wanted a bigger reward for what I had already read. I'm not sure, but I would think a motivational speaker would be able to come up with something better.

My rating and why: I read it and gave it three stars. (The more I think about it, the more generous I feel about it.) I read it and it was an "ok" book. I wasn't changed in any way. I wasn't moved by anything in particular. I don't even think I laughed out loud at anything (sorry Sandquist - I did smile though!). It just lost its steam. It could've been shorter. The description of the actual girlfriend he eventually obtains should have had a better description... definitely more than the other girls (her's was the least in-depth). Meh.